Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Inventing a lamp - and the bud of a great story

Our sons bedroom was quite a project before he was born (and well... it still is). It had to be painted and cleaned up before he arrived. And quite right - a couple of hours after I made my finishing touches on the clouds decorating the blue ceiling, Atlas decided to show up. Now it's only those lovely details left. For instance all the flying objects that is going to decorate his bedroom sky.

I've (with no success - Amazon and other internet stores don't send their goods to Norway) been looking for a model airplane (one of those old bi-planes) to hang from the ceiling. And I've been looking for a lamp that resembles the sun, but at the same time isn't too "cartoonish" - hard to find that too. Last, but not least, I've been making this hot air balloon out of a simple lamp from Ikea.

I painted it, and was going to attach an "ordinary" basket to it, but then I thought, "where is the fun in that", found myself a small toy lion baby and attached it to the balloon instead. Think of all the amazing stories I can make out of that! "The little lion Karl was playing outside the circus tent where his father was at work, when he suddenly saw this amazingly big balloon floating just a few inches above ground..." or "It was soon night fall. The savannah seamed to disappear into infinity. The only sound you could hear was the sound of four small, sand coloured, running paws..."

I'll write that story - and Atlas is going to be the first one to hear it. He'll know the little lion will be safe till the story ends, cause it's floating, in air, inside the warm safety of his bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment